Thursday, April 29, 2010

Life Is a Trasaction

My career is sales & marketing. I have been in the field for almost 10 years now (wow). I never would have imagined being a sales person as I am not always the most assertive or aggressive individual. I tend to lean towards the catering & caregiver type. As the economy slowed down my account management position turned into a cold calling sales roll, not by choice and I didn't like it at all. I regularly felt rejected and a sales failure. The sales position striped away my confidence, therefore, I decided to step back, stop resisting the change and learn the trade so that I could succeed at the job at hand. What I came to learn and realize is that sales is in everyone’s life, everyday in some capacity. Individuals that claim they are a "Sales Rep" are not the only ones practicing the action of sales. Each one of us, everyday, exercise the skill.
  • We go to the market and we make a transaction - that’s Sales.
  • We disagree with our phone bill provider and need to negotiation - that's a sale.
  • We want to go on a trip and our partner / friend isn’t interested, so we sell them on why it will be fun and rewarding and ultimately get the trip.
Sales are taking place everywhere, as I believe life is a transaction. We are all exchanging something we find of value for something in return. Sales isn’t always about financial gain.


So as you carry on with your daily life, stop and think about it. Think about the transactions you make. Sometimes it’s simple and other times the transaction is more difficult. No matter what the transaction is - it takes the same steps as a career in sales: passion, persistence, research, knowledge and relationships.

Enjoy your day,

Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment